Is there an age limit?
At Earth, Glaze & Fire we believe that everyone is an artist; an artist is an artist no matter how small, after all. That said we don't put an age limit on general painting but we do have some age restrictions for special events such as clay night and workshops. In most cases children under the age 6 have about a 20-30 minute attention span for this type of activity. So we recommend that supervising adults do NOT plan on painting but rather keeping a watchful eye on their little person and assist them as needed. Children ages 7+ usually do pretty well with minimal adult intervention but we do still require all minors to have a supervising adult with them at all times.
Can I rent kiln space?
We do not rent kiln space. However, Georgie's Ceramics & Clay in North Portland does at a very reasonable rate.
Can I bring back items for repair?
If you painted or made a ceramic piece at OUR STUDIO, we are happy to asses the repair to your piece(s). Items with cracks or the that have been shattered cannot be repaired/re-fired. However, items with small chips or dings can easily be restored at minimal cost. Items will need to be brought in to our kiln operator for inspection and quote.
Know Before You Go:
(A quick guide to our studio do's & don'ts so there's no surprises)
* We DO NOT allow food or drink in our studio. Please do all of your snacking before or after you visit.
* All items are priced as marked. Painting at our studio is truly the price on the piece plus tax. No other fees, EVER!
* We have a strict 2-week hold policy for finished items. For example: if you paint on a Friday, your item will be ready for pick up the following Saturday. We will hold your order for two weeks from the first available pick-up day. The date stamped on your receipt is your last available day to pick up. After two weeks items are donated to Re-tails.
* We have a "you-break-it, you-buy-it" policy, so, if you are the bull in a china shop type or have little handsy folks accompanying you, please exercise caution when you come to our studio as all of our products are breakable.
* We do not allow you to mix your colors in your paint pallets. This means that little people will need extra supervision. Handlers of said tiny humans will be expected to monitor paint distribution and use throughout the entire painting process. Staff will discuss glaze usage and conservation in detail before you begin painting.
* Cell Phone-Free Zone. We understand that in this technological age, completely ditching your phone can be difficult; if you need to take or make a phone call we ask that you do so outside of our studio as it is very disruptive to other guests. Additionally, we invite you to bring headphones if you would like to listen to a personal music device, tablet or handheld gaming unit. Most guests don't want to hear Mario Cart sound effects or the latest episode of Thomas the Tank Engine or Game of Thrones while they are painting. So, again please utilize headphones as needed or bring quiet forms of entertainment for kiddos who may finish early.
* Sorry we do not allow pets in our studio. Registered service animals with the appropriate identification are always welcome.